image via http://www.slideshare.net/NashvilleTechCouncil/the-power-of-smarketing-40266445
Sales reps can only be as good as the product and message they represent. Before companies can hire Sales reps, they need a great product with messaging that conveys the benefits to customers. Sales Reps need support from marketing in the cross functional organization of tomorrow. The messaging should be able to prevent customer objections. Unfortunately, this is where many Marketing departments fall short.
image via Salesforce.com
Many people that get hired in marketing, lack a sales background and have no idea on how to handle customer objections.
In addition, many people in Marketing lack the background and understanding of how people learn. Teachers and psychologists have this training. Understanding how people learn can make product messaging more effective because it can be presented in multiple formats. Many people in marketing lack practitioner experience and as a result marketing is not as effective as it could be. Practitioners are especially underrepresented in the Marketing function of many EdTech companies and this needs to change. Now I will make a case for hiring Sales Reps, Teachers and Industry practitioners in marketing.
Case for hiring ex Sales Reps
- Knows how to handle objections which can be applied to message
- Experience dealing with customers, knows customer pain points
- Sees how end-user uses the product
- Can increase sales using Sales expertise to make messaging customer centric
- Can assist with Sales and Marketing Alignment as companies need to work cross functionally
- Understands the issues Sales Reps face and has the credibility of being a Rep when collaborating with Sales Teams
Experienced obtaining , qualifying and converting leads to Sales ie Lead Gen/Demand Gen
Hiring Industry practice experts
- They are the customers and understand the pain points better than any market research should be in leadership roles
- Healthcare does this with Doctors, Dentists
- Tech does this with programmers and engineers.
Why not EdTech!
- Can increase Sales because they are the customer and understand the pain points because they have experienced them in the job
This is the best market research/ buyer persona there is!
Case For hiring ex Teachers
- understands how people learned
- skilled at tailoring content for understanding based on learning needs
- Today’s marketing is about educating customer and earning the right to market to them they educate their customers
Why it is not Good enough to just place them in Sales
People in Sales are not involved in the creative process and cannot change their cards and company messaging.
They cannot address weaknesses in messaging and product.
The Marketer of Tomorrow
Has all of the above in their background or at least a Sales background at a minimum.
I have Marketing experience along with all of the above in my background.
In the EdTech Industry, I hit all of the above and I am qualified for a job in marketing especially being the industry practice expert. In healthcare I have two out of three. For all other verticals, I have two out of three because I was in Sales, I taught and understand how people learn.
Are you ready to increase Sales by improving Marketing? Your sales teams deserve better!
How have you increase Sales by improving messaging? Comment and share below.
About the Author
Dan is passionate about using Marketing to help businesses drive sales. HubSpot Certified in Inbound Marketing, Dan has worked on various marketing assignments including Start Ups, a Political Campaign & a Digital Marketing Conference.
Prior to teaching, Dan served customers as an Outside Sales & Marketing Rep in NYC. In this role, he taught and trained Dentists on the company’s products and services using a consultative selling approach combined with direct marketing. He also supported the company’s marketing efforts at industry trade shows.
He writes & publishes a business blog on the topics of Sales, Marketing & Social Media entitled Sales, Marketing & Social Media Today; which has grown to over 16,000 followers on LinkedIn and over 11,000 on WordPress.
Dan is seeking a full-time marketing role in Direct, Inbound, Digital, Content & Social Media Marketing. He is willing to create and build out the Marketing function of your organization if it does not exist. If your company is hiring for roles in these areas, contact him directly via a free LinkedIn Message or email him at Dan@DanGalante.com to set up interviews.